Total crash in gdb!.. something is broken!.. Was: Re: FreeBSD with a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC?

Jiawei Ye leafy7382 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 23:45:08 PDT 2006

On 9/25/06, Johan Ström <johan at stromnet.org> wrote:
> Fcking great.. Waking up and noting that the box has rebooted it self
> during the night... Yay!!... No kernel dumps, nothing in message
> log.. Nada... (this was on the "first" box, that is the one first in
> this thread)
>
> What exactly does
>
> kernel dumps on /dev/mirror/gm0s1b
>
> mean? Not that it saves any kernel dumps at least.. But otoh I have
> no clue why it crashed at all and if it even did try to dump kernel
> or if it just blacked out as when i tried to debug clamd...
>
> --
> Johan
It means that the system died and released the sphincter when it did.
If you have dumpdev='AUTO'
dumpdir='/var/crash'
in your rc.conf, then you can find the crash dump in ${dumpdir}, then
you can use kgdb to retrieve the backtrace from the dump.

Jiawei

--
"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
then to the end user it's a duck, and end users have made it pretty