(Wrong) CPU utilization reported by top

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:42:31 PDT 2006

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:16:23 +0200
Václav Haisman <V.Haisman at sh.cvut.cz> wrote:

> ...it doesn't show a single process that would have over 1% of WCPU or CPU!
>
>   PID USERNAME         THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU
> COMMAND

My guess is that you're seeing weighted CPU time and want unweighted.  If so,
press C (upper-case).  top will change the header to "CPU" instead of "WCPU"
right after.

But I must agree that (sometimes, at least) top seems to not show an exact
picture of the current CPU usage by the processes.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez@{gmail.com,wait4.org}>