Skype on freebsd 6.2-prerelease.

Cheffo stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com
Fri Sep 22 02:09:16 PDT 2006

Hello,

After updating to freebsd-6.2-prerelease (3 days old now) I have weird
problems with Skype.
When I start skype everything else stop to work normally like my PC is
running fork bomb or something else like this.
The weird thing is that the CPU becomes 100% idle and even login to the
sistem takes few minutes.
I run ktrace on skype pids and what I saw was thousands of lines with:

  4306 skype_bin RET   getdomainname 0
  4306 skype_bin CALL  getdomainname(0xbfbfd540,0)
  4306 skype_bin RET   getdomainname 0
  4306 skype_bin CALL  getdomainname(0xbfbfd540,0)
  4306 skype_bin RET   getdomainname 0
  4306 skype_bin CALL  getdomainname(0xbfbfd540,0)
  4306 skype_bin RET   getdomainname 0
  4306 skype_bin CALL  getdomainname(0xbfbfd540,0)

 From this point I cannot start anything that need network (and may be
not only network),
and the only way to bring back system is to "kill -9" all skype
processes which move their state to:
 4305  p3  IN     0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/X11R6/bin/skype
 4306  p3  DE     0:02.43 skype_bin
 4332  p3  D      0:00.11 skype_bin
 4342  p3  D      0:00.00 skype_bin

(after sending kill on skype, kdump shows  : 4306 skype_bin RET
getdomainname -1 errno -4 Unknown error: -4 )
 From here the only way to stop skype is to restart X(org).

I'll update to the latest src today again, but I have the bad feeling
that this will not change a thing.