bind round robin

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Tue Sep 19 01:39:57 PDT 2006

Hi.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:00:23PM +0800, pinoyskull wrote:
> One of my client's domain has multiple IPs for redundancy, i configured
> his www as such
>
> www        IN A   10.10.10.10
> www        IN A   192.168.0.10
>
> Is there a way to prioritize 10.10.10.10 over 192.168.0.10? How do i
> configure it?

DNS round robin is not about redundancy, the only thing you could have
that way is a kind of load balancing (not the most sophisticated way,
though). Whenever one of the servers fails, around half of the requests
still goes there and then times out/gets conn refused or whatever the
problem is. Prioritizing is not easily possible. Probably it helps if
you add one of the IPs more often to the set, but I never tried that and
did not read the docs on this topic, so before breaking your zone first
read the specs, if this works!

For serious redundancy with failover and/or load balancing with a good
leveling you should consider getting a load balancer (be it hardware or
software), better two so you don't have the single point of failure
there :-)

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |