ath0 weak connectivity

Emil Stoyanov emosto at web.de
Mon Sep 18 11:19:44 PDT 2006

Radu Adrian Zdrinca wrote:
> I have had similar problems with the driver. The signal quality in
> Windows is higher. But there are other problems. For example, when I
> start Limewire I have to wait for about 3 minutes before it loads. I
> am sure this is a problem with ath interface.

If I recall correctly, Limewire is java-based p2p app and java on Linux
and FreeBSD requires a bit more resources than on Windows (according to
SUN's recommendations i read the last time). I guess this is due to
different strategies for memory management in the implementation of Java
VM. It depends on what machines you are running java - on slower ones,
or such with less memory, the time for loading java vm, and the time for
allocation of memory for bigger apps may vary quite a lot, but 3 minutes
looks like more problem of slow dns resolving, if many peers are
connecting to you, etc..

I suppose this is not related to problems with driver, but anything is
possible, just better testing and more investigations can prove that..

Cheers,
Emil