Problems with auditd -- resolved

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Sun Sep 17 23:16:40 PDT 2006

Robert Watson wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've just comitted a fix to syscalls.master and regenerated the
> remaining system call files, which should correct the auditctl:
> Invalid Argument error being returned by auditd.  In short order, this
> fix should be on the cvsup mirrors -- please let me know if it
> resolves the problem you were experiencing.

Hi,

After installing and running auditd I don't see any log files for auditd:

daemon# ls -l /var/audit/
total 0
-r--r-----  1 root  audit  0 Sep 18 14:23 20060918052316.20060918060339
-r--r-----  1 root  audit  0 Sep 18 15:03 20060918060339.not_terminated

I have custom /etc/security/audit_control and audit_user files.

daemon# more /etc/security/audit_control
#
# $P4: //depot/projects/trustedbsd/openbsm/etc/audit_control#3 $
# $FreeBSD: src/contrib/openbsm/etc/audit_control,v 1.2.2.1 2006/09/02
10:46:00 rwatson Exp $
#
dir:/var/audit
flags:all
minfree:20
naflags:lo

#
# $P4: //depot/projects/trustedbsd/openbsm/etc/audit_user#3 $
# $FreeBSD: src/contrib/openbsm/etc/audit_user,v 1.2.2.1 2006/09/02
10:46:00 rwatson Exp $
#
#root:lo:no
root:all:no

I'm bit confused here I thought auditd should log all activities, but I
don't see any log files.
Am I doing something wrong here or my understanding regarding auditd is
wrong?

thanks in advance,

Ganbold