Attention Julian Stacey

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Sun Sep 17 11:18:57 PDT 2006

Scott Long wrote:
> Julian, meet Paul Saab.  Paul was a key FreeBSD developer for many years

Thanks Scott,
Nicely put.  Much appreciated.  BTW I removed mu.org as a reject
domain record from my .../access first thing this morning, just
before I received your mail. Good you confirmed OK, thanks.  No disrepect
to Paul Saab, just hadn't heard of him (just skim many subject).

> Julian, meet Kris.  Kris has been the head of the FreeBSD ports team for

Long enough without peer review.   Leaders don't post flame bait.

  ----- Below _Not_ personal criticism of any individual.  -----
Ideas of Automatic peer review, rotations etc are used by clubs,
companies, & governments. I'm not aware if FreeBSD has adopted them yet.
  - Reviews detects burn out, raised frequency of agression & attitudes etc.
    Sabaticals, holidays etc are good for volunteers too, not just employees.
  - Core are now elected by commiters, but when I suggested elections
    way back, it was flamed on high, so peer review could happen too.
  - 7 day suspensions for flamers could also help, unless they apologise
    within eg 48 hours to list (not necessarily recipient) for abuse of list.

The problem's not even really list abuse, but that tolerating
spurious alienating agression (by list or private mail) over years
from a tiny minority will have reduced code etc received in consequence
from numerous others deterred.  We have no employing boss to knocks
heads, just the opposite, a few whose periodic implicit challenge
is: "Tolerate my periodic agression or I'll take my toys & leave."
Perhaps most wouldn't leave.  If they did, we'd still survive,
FreeBSD even survived when John (swap) Dyson very unfortunately got
deterred & left, probably no threatened skill loss would be harder
to replace.

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.