amd64/101873: Freebsd amd64 hangs on booting sata drive?

Angelo Turetta aturetta at commit.it
Sat Sep 16 04:02:14 PDT 2006

David wrote:
> I attempted to do a test install of FreeBSD 6.1 ISO on a new machine I was building, the specs were:
> *AMD AM2 5000+ dual core
> *Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
> *1GBx4 Mushkin ddr2 800Mhz
> *750GBx4 S-ATA Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (Tested with and without motherboard NV RAID in 0+1 mode with the same results)
> *ATI Radeon 1800 video card
> *standard dvd-rom
>
> When attempting to boot in verbose and non verbose mode the machine would hang (to the best of what I recall) on the hard drives.
>
>> Audit-Trail:
>
> From: Frank Reppin <frank at undermydesk.org>
>
>  I've had the same experience with my brand new and shiny
>  amd64 equipmnent...:
>
>  Mainboard -> ASUS M2N-E (nforce 570 - *no* SLI)

Both 7.0-CURRENT-200607 and 6.1-STABLE-200607 (july) snapshots failed.
The 7.0-CURRENT-200608 passed the disk probes, and indeed finished the
install, but was subject to a massive interrupt storm.

As of today (2006-sep-16) the problem is solved in both 7-CURRENT and
6-STABLE (soon to be 6.2-RELEASE), I verified personally with 2
home-built snapshot CDROMs.

I think this PR can be closed (FIXED).

Angelo Turetta