em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting (6.1-STABLE)

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Sat Sep 16 01:54:29 PDT 2006

Hello,

Just wanted to send a me too on this issue. Whenever it happends I
can see our Cisco switch reporting the interface going down and up as
well (Line Protocol).

FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE
#1: Wed Sep 13 00:10:04 CEST 2006     frode at localhost.localdomain:/
usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PT  i386

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
         status: active

em0 at pci1:11:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x10048086 chip=0x10048086
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
     device   = '82543GC Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)'
     class    = network
     subclass = ethernet

(This is a add-in 64bit PCI card.)

I am stress-testing -STABLE on a spare server to aid in making 6.2 as
bugfree as possible.

It is set up as a NFS server with two Linux NFS clients connected
that is concurrently extracting 5 copies of /usr/src to it, and
running a program that creates millions of files with random UID's to
test for QUOTA issues.

On the server I repeatedly dump the exported filesystem with snapshot
and cache enabled. (dump -L -C 32 -af /dev/null ...)

I'm building todays -STABLE on a different server with SMP and two em
NIC's onboard, and will start similar tests on it to see if I can
reproduce the watchdog timeouts there as well.

--
Frode Nordahl