Regression Tests ...

Marc G. Fournier freebsd at hub.org
Thu Sep 14 18:54:41 PDT 2006

With all the talk about -STABLE, and how bad things can get, and how in
'the good old days, this would never have happened' ... instead of griping
about what is, could and should be ... why not focus on how to improve the
process?

For instance, we know that *most* of the time, -STABLE is exactly that,
-STABLE ... and there are several of us that feel that -STABLE is more
stable then -RELEASE ... not everyone agrees, but, hey, everyone has a
right to disagree ...

For the PostgreSQL Project, we have a 'build farm' ... something that I
think is similar to the tinderboxes ... but, their point isn't to just
build the source tree, but to run its regression tests, and report when
something fails:

http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

I saw the post from the guy that caused the original thread, talking about
how he was working on regression tests as he's developing the code ... is
there some way that we can extend the tinderboxes to run these regression
tests, and put a report up on freebsd.org reporting things like 'last
successful build/test', so that one could use CVSup to upgrade to that
date?

----