gmirror RAID-1: rebuilding freezes machine

Jared Ring jared at little-miracles.org
Thu Sep 14 13:27:06 PDT 2006

I traced the problem back to BIOS booting off ad0 instead of ad1.
Because ad0 was still a perfectly functioning drive BIOS didnt complain
about booting off it. Once the kernel started and gmirror loaded it
proceeded to use ad1, but the kernel was loaded from ad0, which was the
old, broken one.

I noticed my first partition does start at offset 0 though, is this
going to come and bite me in the future?