ARRRRGH! Guys, who's breaking -STABLE's GMIRROR code?!

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 13 21:39:13 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:55:48 -0500
> Greg Barniskis <nalists at scls.lib.wi.us> wrote:
>
>> If you /track/ STABLE by frequently cvsupping it and rebuilding your
>> system, you will very likely encounter a serious problem sooner or
>> later. That's why tracking it is not recommended for production
>> systems.
>
> 	I did exactly that all the way from 2.0 to 4.11 on various machines
> without ever having any trouble.

Ditto ... in fact, I do that on my desktop and have yet to hit a problem
... -STABLE *is* generally very stable ...

Stupid question here ... if -STABLE shouldn't be tracked, who exactly is
doing testing on it?  Those doing "the work" on -CURRENT, I would imagine,
are tracking -CURRENT, and testing the code put in there for bugs ... when
deemed 'bug free', then its being MFCd to -STABLE, but if those of us that
*are* tracking -STABLE stop'd tracking it ... who would be testing it?

----