gjournal and Softupdates

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 13 08:40:00 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:28:49PM +0200, Teufel wrote:

> >>I think journaling relies on the same assumptions.
> >>

> >Not gjournal, because it uses BIO_FLUSH I/O requests which flushes disk
> >write cache when needed
> so when the crash occur exactly when BIO_FLUSH is sent or while the
> cache is flushing, there is still no corruption possbile? [...]

That's right. One BIO_FLUSH is send to ensure the data are safely
stored, and another one is send when metadata is updated to point at
the last consistent journal.

> [...] If so, this would be an advantage over SU, as
> it does surely not use the new introduced BIO_FLUSH. [...]

Soft-updates doesn't handle disk write caches at all.

> [...] In the other hand i've seen couple of other JFS that went corrupt for "no reason". I don't want to be paranoid, but i
> really want to be "sure" that the design is trustable.

Of course a bug in file system (or gjournal) implementation is still
possible and can lead to file system corruption, but such a bug can
still corrupt file system in the way it will not be fixable by fsck.

From what I saw, file systems with journaling still enforce fsck every X
reboots or on the next reboot after Y days of uptime, whatever comes first.