FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE ->FreeBSD 6.1-Stable

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Sep 13 01:56:51 PDT 2006

Eric wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Vince wrote:

 > > > the cvsup part looks ok but for the actual build then read
 > > > /usr/src/Makefile
 > > > for the recommended procedure.
 > >
 > > It's better to read /usr/src/UPDATING.
 >
 > my wiki above mentions reading UPDATING (in step 3) before starting...
 >
 > UPDATING pretty much says exactly the same thing, except its 80% of the
 > way into UPDATING. The wiki above also explains things a bit more for
 > someone who has never done it.

I wasn't refering to your wiki (I didn't even look at it).

I was refering to Vince's comment that /usr/src/Makefile
should be read for the recommended procedure, which is
wrong.  The recommended procedure (according to the FreeBSD
Handbook) is in /usr/src/UPDATING, which is more up-to-date
than the comments in the Makefile.

All of that is explained in great detail in the FreeBSD
Handbook, section 21.4 "Rebuilding ``world''".  I think
people should look at the Handbook more often; it contains
answers to many questions on the mailing lists, including
the one that started this thread.

Best regards
   Oliver

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa