optimization levels for 6-STABLE build{kernel,world}

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Sep 12 12:39:33 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:22:51PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> What are ppl currently using for CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS in /etc/make.conf for
> building kernel/world?  I know awhile back it wasn't recommended to go
> above -O2, for instance, but suspect that has changed ... ?

Nothing above -O2 is supported.  Period.  If you try another value and
something breaks, don't report it unless you can verify it happens with
-O or -O2.  For many applications, -O2 will perform better than -O3 so
you need to benchmark individual applications.  For most applications,
there's simply no point.

-- Brooks