gjournal and Softupdates

bsd at kuehlbox.de bsd at kuehlbox.de
Tue Sep 12 01:22:02 PDT 2006

I've just watched over some of the gjournal threads.

My main question now is, whats the difference from gjournal and
softupdates in case of reability ?
Wasn't SU design to make the use of journals needless? As far i
remember, SU was designed to write in the cache in such a way, that
whenever the system crashed, the FS is always consistent. Only bgfsck
has todo a snapshot and cleanup "unused" space that got lost cause the
SU did not finish as the crash occured.

Maybe someone can give me some light into that :). I always tought that
*BSD don't need a journaling FS as it has already SU

Greetings

Teufel