Broken loader in STABLE

Adam Retter adam at adamretter.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 05:37:57 PDT 2006

Hi Chaps,

I think something has changed with regards to loader in STABLE recently,
it has prevented me from being able to boot my machine today. This
ideally needs to get fixed so other people dont have the same problem.

Previously I have been able to boot fine and the system has been solid
as a rock, until...

I did a make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, reboot, mergemaster
-p, installworld,  mergemaster and then reboot - since the second reboot
(after mergemaster) my system wont boot up any more - I get to the
FreeBSD boot options screen width the besatie logo "1. boot default - 6.
escape to loader etc" and then I get this -

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(adam at funkalicious.home.dom, Thu Aug 31 12:53:11 BST 2006)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x67184
from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:958
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

Now I solidly believe that it is the loader in STABLE that is the
problem because, I can boot my system using a FreeBSD 6.1-BETA#1 Install
CD and then escape to the loader on the cd and send it options so it
boots my system from harddisk, the system then comes up no problem - in
fact im writting this email on it.

The process I use to boot my system via. the install cd is this -

Boot from CD
>From the boot options screen with the beastie logo, I press "6" to
escape to the loader, I then use these commands -

unload
set rootdev=disk1s3a
load disk1s3a:/boot/kernel/kernel
load disk1s3a:/boot/kernel/linux.ko
load disk1s3a:/boot/kernel/linprocfs.ko
load disk1s3a:/boot/modules/nvidia.ko
load disk1s3a:/boot/modules/hpt374.ko
boot

My System is -

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Processor
2 x 1GB Corsair DDR400 RAM
MSI 848P Neo Motherboard
Nvidia 6800LE DDR3 256MB
120GB Maxtor SATA Hard disk
HPT 374 RAID 5 SATA Controller
3 x 250GB Maxtor SATA Hard disk (raid 5)
DVD-ROM DDU1621/VER S3.5
DVDR DVD-RW IDE1004/VER 0251

Thanks

Adam Retter