Three FreeBSD 6 questions

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 26 15:26:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:32:43PM +0100, SiteRollout.com wrote:
> I'm new to this list, so here's a hello, how are you to everyone on the
> list!
Welcome!

<snip>
> And which file do I change to use a different release, and how must I update
> the system to pull in this latest release?
>
> 2.) I'm a bit confused as to updating the system. As I understand, there are
> 3 areas which require updates:
>
> i. Ports

You could use portsnap(1) to keep your ports database up to date.

> ii. Security updates
> iii. Kernel updates
>
> I know how to perform the first two, but for kernel updates I can't seen to
> find a consistent unified method with talk of the "traditional" way and the
> "latest" way. What is the best way to keep my FreeBSD 6.x system up2date?

This is covered in the handbook, and at the end of /usr/src/UPDATING.

FreeBSD updates both the kernel and the base system.

Basically,

1) cvsup(1) your source to RELENG_6 (for STABLE) or RELENG_6_1 for just
   security updates.
2) Create a custom kernel config file, if needed, and put it in
   /usr/src/sys/<ARCH>/conf/FOO for example.
3) cd /usr/src;
4) make buildworld
3) make kernel # Add 'KERNCONF=FOO' to use your configuration.
4) reboort into single user mode
5) mergemaster -p
6) cd /usr/src; make installworld
7) mergemaster