partioning failed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 22:57:51 UTC 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Freek Nossin wrote:
> Then I tried Carl's advice and bought a 80-connector cable. And
> amazingly
> enough... It worked!
>
> But I wonder, why is FreeBSD so picky about it? My previous Windows
> installation did not itch a bit. And should this not be documented
> anywhere
> (or should have, because SATA is the standard nowadays)?

It's not uncommon for Windows drivers to fall back to a slower DMA
mode, or even PIO, when they start to see problems.  You could
accomplish the same effect by configuring your BIOS to run the ATA
devices at UDMA33 speeds, which also can be a good idea if you've got
a hard drive sharing the same (parallel) ATA channel with an older CD/
DVD-ROM device.

Your Asus A7V266 motherboard should have come with a decent 80-pin
ATA cable originally...?

--
-Chuck