i915 DRM enabled in X.org log but not in glxinfo

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 01:15:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

Just to say that this report may well seem a little sparse, but I
really don't know what exactly to look for so if anybody needs extra
information just shout and I will get it for you ASAP.

When I check the X.org log file, it says direct rendering: enabled on
my graphics device (it attaches its i810 driver to the kernel's i915
DRM device). This would appear to me to suggest that atleast the X
server is running with full DRM capabilities.

But when I use glxinfo, it says direct rendering: No. I am just
wodnering, is there anything special I need to do for GL to work with
the DRM stuff? I haven't installed (atleast knowingly) any other MESA
library, so following the advice I have found that should be all I
need to check, but apparently something else is wrong and I haven't
the faintest idea what to look for.

The other other slight oddity is that when i915 probes, it says I have
128 meg video RAM when I really only have 64meg maximum for the intel
graphics.

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions, just seems wierd that
one says things should be enabled,but the other test program
disagrees.

Thanks, Alex J Burke.