Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Oct 23 23:09:38 UTC 2006

Mike Jakubik <mikej at rogers.com> wrote:

>     I am in the process of implementing a fairly large mysql server for
> an even larger company, and naturally i want to use FreeBSD. The
> hardware will be an HP DL385, 2 x dual-core Opterons, 16GB RAM,  7 x 15k
> rpm disks in a RAID5 setup.

Generally speaking, RAID 5 is known for lousy performance in database
loads.  Consider using RAID 10.

>     So, first of all, am i crazy for choosing fbsd+mysql for this rather
> than something like Solaris + Oracle? :)

Well, you should be using FreeBSD+PostgreSQL, but that's just my religion.

> Secondly, i am just looking for
> some suggestions, opinions, success/failure story's that may help me
> out. Is anyone out there using FreeBSD for something of this size? I am
> hoping that everything will work out well, and the client will be happy.
> This would generate some good PR for FreeBSD, as it is a very large
> international company and it would be the first FreeBSD server (that i
> know of) of this type there.

Yes, this is being done.  I would suggest surfing the Postgresql
performance mailing list archives a bit.  There are often discussions of
huge databases there:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/

--
Bill Moran

The presence of stale files in this directory can cause the
dreaded unpredictable results, and therefore it is highly
recommended that you delete them.