CARP not balancing automatically

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Oct 23 20:21:40 UTC 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Max Laier wrote:

>> Until I perform this manual step, all traffic goes to the single box.
>> After I perform this step, the traffic is balanced nicely as expected
>> amongst the local network hosts.  Each box then has one MASTER and
>> one BACKUP carp interface for this IP.
>
> Sounds like you forgot the net.inet.carp.preempt sysctl.  See the
> begining
> of the EXAMPLES section of carp(4).

But I don't have multiple interfaces that all need to go up/down
together.  I need one carp interface to be master and one backup on
box A, and the opposite master/backup on box B.  Or am I totally
misunderstanding with the preemtp sysctl is for?

The second example in the EXAMPLES section is what I followed.  It
makes no mention of needing preempt, but does say I need arpbalance.

Is the documentation incomplete in the second example, then?

What I want to end up with (and what I get after my manual
manipulation) is this:

one host:

carp0: flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.100.100 netmask 0xffffff00
         carp: BACKUP vhid 5 advbase 1 advskew 100
carp1: flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.100.100 netmask 0xffffff00
         carp: MASTER vhid 6 advbase 1 advskew 0

other host:

carp0: flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.100.100 netmask 0xffffff00
         carp: MASTER vhid 5 advbase 1 advskew 0
carp1: flags=49<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 1500
         inet 192.168.100.100 netmask 0xffffff00
         carp: BACKUP vhid 6 advbase 1 advskew 100

what happens on boot is one box has both MASTER and the other has
both BACKUP resulting in zero load balance.