How to configure a usb device

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Oct 23 11:33:22 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 18:26, Sun Zongjun-E5739C wrote:
> I want to use a usb network interface on FreeBSD6.1 as well as I use it
> on linux. When insert the USB into Linux box and run ifconfig command,
> it will report that a usb0(1, 2) can be used now. But when I insert the
> same USB device into the FreeBSD box, FreeBSD only report that some USB
> device has been detected, there is nothing on the screen when I run
> ifconfig command.

You need to paste the dmesg output so we have a chance to see what the actual
device in question is..
The output of usbdevs -v would be useful.

If you are running a GENERIC kernel (which has all of the USB drivers loaded
in it already) then it would seem FreeBSD doesn't support your hardware.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum