kernel ignores kenv comconsole_speed?

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Fri Oct 20 10:58:08 UTC 2006

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?  (This is on a stable
from yesterday.)

I have -DS115200 in /boot.config, and boot and loader are happily
using this speed. However, the kernel appears to be hardwired to 9600.

After boot, it's still at 9600:

# stty </dev/ttyd0
speed 9600 baud;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo
iflags: -icrnl -ixon -ixany -imaxbel -brkint
oflags: -opost
cflags: cs8 -parenb clocal
# sysctl machdep.conspeed
machdep.conspeed: 9600

However, comconsole_speed is set correctly:
# kenv comconsole_speed
115200

I've recompiled my kernel with options COMSPEED=115200, and that
fixed the issue for now, but shouldn't the kernel pick up the console
speed from the kenv instead of using the hard-coded value?  Since
machdep.conspeed is a sysctl, you can only change it after boot,
which is kind of inconvenient...

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140