FreeBSD 4.x EoL

security security at jim-liesl.org
Tue Oct 17 22:43:24 UTC 2006

FreeBSD Security Officer wrote:
> In short:
>  * FreeBSD is a volunteer project, and we don't want to volunteer to support
> FreeBSD 4.x beyond the scheduled EoL date of January 31st, 2007;
>  * Even if we did want to support FreeBSD 4.x beyond that date, I'm not certain
> that we would be able to do so, given that both FreeBSD and the rest of the
> world has moved on; and
>  * You've had lots of warning that this was going to happen, so it's a bit late
> to start complaining now.
>
> Colin Percival
> FreeBSD Security Officer

To no one in particular:

"The hood's not welded on" (Eric Raymond?).

    You'll have the sources.  If you're using 4.11 in a business, you
need to decide if it's more cost effective to move on to 6 or hire
someone to keep 4.11 running.  There's compat_4 to keep most userland
apps happy.  I'm sure you could argue the various design issues to your
hearts content on the news groups, but practically speaking, I don't
have an issue with this.  Nor is it all that different from your typical
paid for support model for a proprietary OS.

It's not like the poor folks that got stuck with a business app that was
locked to win95 or 98 with bizarre undocumented API's

jim