Ensuring inetd is started before any RPC services

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 17 09:28:43 UTC 2006

Trond Endrestøl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have on many occasions run into the situation where the RPC based
> services have occupied the well-known ports for other non-RPC based
> services. Last week rpc.lockd on one of my systems got hold of TCP
> port 995, leaving inetd unable to start any pop3s services.

Another fix for this is to add flags to the daemons themselves to allow
the RPC services to be bound by port number. I added this to mountd so
that I could bind its port on startup for running mountd on a DMZ host,
thus enabling mountd access to be filtered in the firewall.

Regards,
BMS