[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 12 21:39:02 PDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> DragonFly has made substantial rewrites/changes since the fork from
> FreeBSD.
> I think to assume that there are no regressions in either stability,
> speed,
> or support may be naive.

Has anyone tried benchmarking DragonflyBSD against FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x for
some of the specific workloads people are reporting issues with?

I'll try to get around to benchmarking TCP socket transaction throughput
(connect()/accept(), read/write, close() as FreeBSD 6 and Linux-2.6 systems
seem to spend quite a large percentage of CPU time creating and tearing down
TCP sockets for some reason. No, I haven't yet done any kernel profiling,
this is just from measured transaction rates from userland.

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org