carp0 interface goes down on 6.2-PRERELEASE

Marko Lerota mlerota at iskon.hr
Thu Oct 12 22:30:44 UTC 2006

Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> writes:

> On Oct 12, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Marko Lerota wrote:
>
>> I think the interface didn't get sync from other carp interface,
>> so it doesn't know that he is the MASTER or BACKUP, and because
>> of that goes into the INIT state.
>
> Shouldn't it then move to MASTER since the other server could
> possibly be dead?

Yes, but if interface had _never_ received any pfsync packet,
and sysctl is set to net.inet.carp.preempt=0 ?
Maybe it's because of that. Don't know really. Documentation for
this is not so good. Someone who knows this code and how this really
works, should write handbook like documentation. Clusters are
always complex, and for that, docs should be *very* detailed.
If someone does that, I'll buy him a beer.

--
One cannot sell the earth upon which the people walk
                               			Tacunka Witco