freebsd panic on HP Proliant DL360

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 12 15:48:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 11:18:03AM -0400, Ernest Natiello wrote:
E> Hello,
E>      Thank you very much for all of the help.  I am trying to understand
E> this issue, as it has been plaguing me for quite some time.
E>      So, extrapolating from the below kgdb output, am I to assume that
E> the process causing the error is tcpserver?

Probably it is. However, can you run the gdb commands I mentioned
in previous post, to make us sure.

E>  And should I further infer
E> that tcpserver would cause this issue on all instances of FreeBSD
E> RELENG_6, regardless of hardware?

I think so. A tcpserver(8) in given configuration.

E>      I have three other servers HP Proliant DL380s (2u) which are
E> operating in a _similar_ capacity, (incoming vs. outgoing mailservers)
E> running the exact same software, which have never had a problem.
E>      These three servers are running: FreeBSD unix29 6.1-PRERELEASE
E> FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Mar 27 10:42:56 EST 2006
E> root at unix34.broadviewnet.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/UNIX34 i386
E>      The operating system on this machine was rsync'd from one of the
E> servers that is having the panic issue, yet it continues to operate
E> flawlessly.

The discussed problem is a race between remote client closing TCP
connection (may be resetting?), and local software performing
setsockopt() system call on the same socket.

It may happen that this particulat server has to deal with clients
that drop the connection randomly, and other servers don't. That's
why other servers are stable.

E>      I guess I could try swapping the services between two of the
E> servers and see if the behavior follows the move.  Does that sound
E> viable?

You can try it.

And don't forget to run gdb commands, and see what is the actual
socket option that causes the problem.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE