[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Paul Allen pallen at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:36:12 PDT 2006

Well, I suspect that most people with the resources to do what you ask
have already moved on precisely because the EoL has been published.
i.e., faced with that limited commitment, we had no choice but to
(grudgingly and at the last minute) move on.

I think the most likely path of success is, as you say, to make the 4.x
userland more like 6.x.

Without some prior commitment of project resources though, this
is unlikely to fly with anyone.

e.g., an agreement to EoL of 5.x and do port-cluster builds of
a gcc 3.x variant of the 4.x kernel series.

I recall that this was done in Dragonfly for a while.

                                         Paul