[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Dan Lukes dan at obluda.cz
Wed Oct 11 08:39:42 PDT 2006

Mark Linimon wrote:
>>From a ports standpoint: absolutely not.
>
> We are currently trying to support 4 major CVS branches.  Although we still
> have some dedicated committers who are trying to keep the Ports Collection
> running on 4.X, they are falling further and further behind, especially as
> the rate of new ports being added continues to accelerate.

	The network infrastructure servers (DNS servers, routers, firewalls) is
traditional role of BSD UNIXes. FreeBSD 4.11 is very well tested and has
good performance. Those servers need not new ports so much nor new
version of installed aplications - unless a security problem revealed.

	Even if no new ports will be compilable on 4.x, even if the old ports
will not be updated with exception of update caused by security bug, I
vote for delaying EOL of 4.11

						Dan

BTW, if you encounter problem with port on 4.x, the "tips for dummies" are:
1. update perl from ports
2. install openssl from ports
3. install and use gcc 3.4 for compiling

	Many of problematic ports become compilable again.