scp -c none (was Re: NFS client slow on amd64 6.2-PRERELEASE #2)

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 8 15:06:04 UTC 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 10:54 , Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> It's really too bad the OpenBSD guys refuse to
>> incorporate the HP (high-performance) patches into OpenSSH, and
>> being able to say "-c none" would *really* help when it comes to
>> benchmarking network I/O via scp
>
> I considered submitting the patch for official inclusion,
> but the OpenSSH people would reject it because they call
> it "insecure", and the FreeBSD people would reject it
> because they say the patch should be submitted to the
> OpenSSH people.  *sigh*  :-(

Actually, the openssh-portable folks are keeping an eye on the hpn
patches, but those are still evolving so PSC isn't willing to submit
them for inclusion.  Try searching the openssh list for discussion
about it.

(No, I imagine they wouldn't be imported into the OpenBSD version,
but then, neither is PAM support.  I'm not sure we care what they
think, given that FreeBSD's openssh supports PAM.)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu