Recommendations for a serial port card you can actually BUY?

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Sat Oct 7 19:14:29 UTC 2006

Karl Denninger wrote:
> I wasn't aware that the USB to Serial
> converters would work - I can try them, but there are a lot of those out
> there that don't work right even under Windows - expecting them to under
> FreeBSD might be asking too much.

	A local vendor sells a generic adaptor[1] that uses the Prolific Tech
PL-2303HX chip supported by uplcom(4).  I use them for APC Smart-UPS and
MGE Evolution (both utalk and SHUT) with NUT and the terminal end of
serial console connections.  The funny thing is that they work better in
FreeBSD--Windows' serial device auto-detection is convinced my servers
are Wacom tablets.  The Windows bug is worked around by connecting the
adaptor first, then connecting the adaptor to the serial device after
Windows has finished its plug-and-play spasm.

1: http://store.pchcables.com/usbtorsseca.html

--
Darren Pilgrim