Recommendations for a serial port card you can actually BUY?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Oct 7 08:45:47 UTC 2006

Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> writes:

> I think there may be another option.
>
> Here's the boot message, with just USB related things:
>
> usb0: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> usb1: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-B> on uhci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> usb2: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-C> on uhci2
> usb2: USB revision 1.0
> usb3: <Intel 82801EB (ICH5) USB controller USB-D> on uhci3
> usb3: USB revision 1.0
> usb4: EHCI version 1.0
> usb4: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1 usb2 usb3
> usb4: <Intel 82801EB/R (ICH5) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
> usb4: USB revision 2.0
>
> Now, isn't this in fact invarient?  That is, isn't the probe on the bus
> going to be the same across boots?

This is effectively inheriting PCI order, so unless you're changing PCI
configuration, these are in fact stable.

> We can then get which device is on which port with....
>
> Fs:/disk/karl> usbdevs  -v

...until the moment one is un- and re-plugged, right? At least my two
USB printers (easily told apart from the vendor ID) like to rearrange
their ordering frequently on Linux...

--
Matthias Andree