Recommendations for a serial port card you can actually BUY?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Fri Oct 6 17:13:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:10:37AM -0400, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> > Karl Denninger wrote:
> > > So..... I have an application that requires six serial ports, and would
> > > like ten.  5.x FreeBSD versions are being EOL'd per the announcement,
> > > forcing me to move to 6.x.  The Comtrol driver for the "Smart"
> > > Rocketport boards is broken in 6.x, and the PR appears to be one
> > > that will sit and rot.
> > >
> > > What options do I have in the FreeBSD universe here guys?  This is a
> > > real no-BS production application that has hundreds of deployed
> instances,
> > > and it is in no way "obsolete" or something I intend to stop supporting.
>
> Well, you could find (or hire) someone to fix the driver in 6.x, which would
> save you the cost of re-deploying hardware.
> (I'm assuming that the PR is a statement of "brokenness", and not one that
> has a patch that fixes the problem.)

Correct; the PR is (my) statement of brokenness....

Fixing the driver would require knowing what has changed that broke it.....
I've not found any such concise statement of what has changed internally in
the kernel interfaces in the past... does such a thing exist?

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind