945GM graphics and mplayer

Eric Anholt anholt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 5 16:26:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 10:05 +0800, Ganbold wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:25 +0800, Ganbold wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have strange problem with my Dell Latitude D620 laptop which has 945GM
> > > chipset and onboard graphic card.
> > > I'm using September 30th RELENG_6.
> > >
> > > If I use acpi_video only, mplayer can only use "sdl" video output for
> > > full screen playing.
> > > If I use mnag at FreeBSD.org's i945 graphics support patch without using
> > > acpi_video, mplayer can use other video outputs for full screen playing
> > > but my mouse works in strange way, mouse pointer doesn't move, or moves
> > > very very slowly. I can see mouse goes over gnome applets (highlights)
> > > but I don't see pointer itself is moving.
> > > If I use mnag's patch and acpi_video together mplayer can use only "sdl"
> > > for full screen playing.
> > >

> > OK, I think in reading your email, I'll substitute "having acpi_video"
> > with "not having AGP loaded."  If you have acpi_video on RELENG_6, that
> > prevents your AGP from loading afaik.
> >

> Oh, ok, I thought so. Some questions:
> Do I really need acpi_video?

It gets you brightness controls for some panels.

> Can I use both AGP and acpi_video at the same time?

Not on RELENG_6.

> Do I need to load i915 kernel module?

No, X does that for you.

> It is strange though I see mouse pointer in center of the screen, but
> it doesn't move.
> As I recall it was working without moused when I first installed
> FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE.
> I'm not quite sure, I did several updates to RELENG_6 and somewhere
> July it didn't work without moused loaded beforehand.
> Maybe it is ACPI related problem, but it is only my opinion.

sysmouse always sits there, and if you have no mouse events fed from a
moused (either automatically started by devd for USB mice, or started
for others from rc.conf), you won't see any events on that simulated
mouse.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com