HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Eugene Grosbein eugen at www.svzserv.kemerovo.su
Thu Oct 5 04:51:45 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:30:09AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> >>When this kind of thing happens you just need to periodically make a bit
> >>of noise to make sure it doesn't get forgotten.  In particular you should
> >>mention the problem to re@ so they can investigate and track it.
> >
> >Do I need to bother re@ with non-working fdc(4) in 6.2-PRERELEASE?
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/103841
> >
> >In short: dual boot computer, floppy drive works in Windows, does not work
> >at all in 6.2-PRE.
>
> Could you try booting a 6.1 or 6.0 CD and see if this is a regression from
> previous FreeBSD versions?  Often, floppy disk problems are a symptom of an
> ACPI/BIOS problem, FYI, so you might want to check if there's a BIOS update
> from your system/motherboard vendor.

I run latest BIOS afaik.

It's definetely a regression from 4.11-STABLE that runs fine
on this system with ACPI fully enabled (see also followup to the PR
that I made today for more details). I have up-to-date mirror of FreeBSD Repo
here so can build 6.1 or 6.0 kernel to test, and I will.

Eugene Grosbein