ffs snapshot lockup

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Oct 4 21:16:58 UTC 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:43 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

>> Details are posted at http://vivek.khera.org/scratch/crashlogs/
>>
>> I have the crashdumps available to a kernel hacker upon request (i'd
>> rather not make them generally available to the public...)
>>
> It seems that you have snapshotted fs exported by nfsd ? At least,
> 18a is
> definitely the case. I have the patch (for current) that shall fix
> the issue.
> In fact, you need two patches:

As per advice of Kris Kenneway, I turned off the software watchdog to
rule out that as my problem. Then I ran a level 3 dump. Dump of root
fs went fine, then it proceeded to do /usr. After a few minutes it
locked up. Typescript 20 at the above URL shows the debugging info
from the break into debugger of the locked up system. Since /usr was
locked, nobody could log in at all.

The network load was minimal at the time.  I had everyone log out and
close mail etc.