Drives always come up dirty after shutdown on 6.2-PRERELEASE.

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Sun Oct 1 07:03:12 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 02:45 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 02:17:17PM +0930, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> > If you run fsck ("fsck -n" is sufficient) without specifying a file
> > system so that it reads the list of which file systems to check from
> > fstab, does it check all those with a non-zero Pass#?
>
> Taken from fstab(5) manpage:
>
>      The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine
>      the order in which file system checks are done at reboot time.  The root
>      file system should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other file
>      systems should have a fs_passno of 2.  File systems within a drive will
>      be checked sequentially, but file systems on different drives will be
>      checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hard-
>      ware.  If the sixth field is not present or is zero, a value of zero is
>      returned and fsck(8) will assume that the file system does not need to be
>      checked.

Yes. However, I wasn't inquiring about the behaviour of fsck, I was
asking the OP whether fsck exhibits the correct behaviour when run in
that fahion, i.e. without specifying any filesystems. My intent was for
the OP to verify both that the correct settings are present
in /etc/fstab, and that the settings are being read correctly. Evidently
I didn't structure my query very well.