re(4) needs promisc to work properly

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Thu Nov 30 13:12:29 PST 2006

* Bill Paul <wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > It's more likely a problem with the multicast filter programming.
> > IPv6 is all about the multicasting (neighbord discovery depends on it
> > to work correctly). I can't explain why it's not working though.
> > I've tested the sample 8168B/8111B cards that RealTek sent me, and I
> > didn't have any multicast problems with them.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> I guess I wasn't diligent enough in my testing. Upon closer inspection
> of the documentation, it appears RealTek abitrarily decided to
> reverse the order of the multicast hash registers in the PCIe parts:
> you have to write the hash table out in reverse order.
>
> I have no idea why they did this. In any case, I'm attaching a patch
> which should fix the problem.

It does. Thanks a lot. I still have some other minor issues with my
network interface by the way:

- Switching from and to promiscuous mode takes 7 seconds. All packets
  are dropped in the mean time.
- Fetching 100 Mbit through FTP uses a lot of interrupts (almost
  thousands).

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>