Network Connection Freezing

Holtor holtor at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 07:14:10 PST 2006

Hello,

We have a fairly busy web server runnning 5.4-STABLE and the ethernet
connection seems to drop offline during the peak times daily. We have seen
errors such as this:

Jan 29 17:06:00 web kernel: sis0: initialization failed: no memory for rx
buffers
Jan 29 17:13:01 web kernel: sis0: initialization failed: no memory for rx
buffers

Logging into the console and doing an ifconfig sis0 down and then up would
bring the server back online. The FreeBSD OS never crashed. I saw other
sis0 cable fix errors so yesterday I removed this sis0 card and replaced
it with an Intel card (fxp0). Much to my dismay the network connection
died again this morning.

The fxp0 card reported no errors on the console however when I did the
usual ifconfig down then back up this error came up on the console:

Jan 31 17:51:10 web kernel: in_cksum_skip: out of data by 15320

After the first set of errors I modified certain sysctl variables:

kern.maxfiles=32768
kern.maxfilesperproc=16384
kern.ipc.shmall=16384
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=65535
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
net.inet.ip.dummynet.hash_size=2048
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=1
net.inet.ip.rtexpire=2
net.inet.ip.rtminexpire=2
net.inet.ip.redirect=0
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

This web server is a music download server which is has a varying ipfw per
destination IP download limit depending on the time of day to control
bandwidth usage. This causes httpd to run 500, 600, 700 times. RAM is not
an issue since we upgraded to 2 GB.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? Perhaps there's other
sysctl variables we can increase? Any kernel options?

Thank you very much in advance!

Holt G.