Hi all.. Novice user having woes getting Atheros card up in FreeBSD 6.0

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 26 17:24:27 PST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 07:53 pm, resonant evil wrote:
> So I rebooted, and the new kernel booted no problem.  However when
> the system was starting up and all of the text was flashing by I
> still saw no sign of an ath0 device.. So I logged in and tried
> doing a 'kldload if_ath' and it said "File already exists" so I
> thought that meant it was loaded.. Just for fun I tried a 'ifconfig
> ath0 up' but that just spit out "ifconfig: interface ath0 does not
> exist" and now I'm really starting to get nervous :(

This card seems to have newer chipset and I heard the following patch
supports newer chipsets:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?439E1030.1080304

However, I don't think this patch applies to 6.X.

Jung-uk Kim