FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE Totally Freezes on TightVNC Connection

Russell Doucette ota at animenfo.com
Wed Jan 25 13:21:03 PST 2006

Hi,

I have this weird problem with FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE and I'm using it has a
router between my cable modem and my LAN.  I use the ipf firewall
technology and have forwarded ports so I can use TightVNC to connect to
my Windows XP machine from another location.  However, after a few
minutes or so of use, the BSD machine completely freezes (the keyboard
freezes, the display freezes [no text updates when I was running a
traffic analyzer], and all my network interfaces go dead).  I have to
physically turn off the machine and turn it back on.  This only happens
when I use TightVNC.

I am not sure if this is relevant or not, but I when I restarted the
router, I checked last entries using the "last" command, and found this:

reboot           ~                         Wed Jan 25 14:57

Then, I found this in /var/log/auth.log:

Jan 25 14:56:58 myhostname sshd[448]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.

My BSD box locked up around the same time as these events.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

R. Doucette