need help for DSDT for an Epox Amd64 MB

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Mon Jan 23 10:08:20 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 01:52:11PM -0200, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2006 11:49, Bruno Ducrot wrote:
>

> > > good to know as well, what means supposed my cards are ok the motherboard
> > > has issues right
> >
> > Can't tell for sure if you don't test without ACPI loaded.
> > It may be possible after all the apci_thermal subsystem trigger a
> > (false) overheat situation which may explain a sudden shutdown.
>

> very nice because exactly this is what I thought, still more likely since the
> sudden "off" happens after a certain time when compiling world or other
> processor expensive tasks
>
> any hint how I can get closer to know this? Am I right that the shutdown comes
> from the motherboard in this case so there is not so very much to do for the
> OS?
>
> normally I find 20 up to 23
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 21.8C
> but unfortunatly I never could get it in time when it shut off
>
> there is an option in the BIOS as "ACPI Shutdown Temp" but it is disabled
>
> I just compiled cpufrequency into the kernel and enabled BIOS Smartfan CPU
> Temp to see what I get
>
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_usage: 100.00%
> machdep.cpu_idle_hlt: 1
> dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
> dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
> dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU0
> dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
> dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 2000
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2000/67000 1800/64700 1000/28600
> dev.acpi_perf.0.%parent: cpu0
> dev.powernow.0.%parent: cpu0
> dev.cpufreq.0.%driver: cpufreq
> dev.cpufreq.0.%parent: cpu0

The temperature is read from some isa io port at 0x295...

I'm wondering if you should use mbmon instead of ACPI
(the _TMP method in that DSDT look a little ugly to my eyes,
though I am not sure if it will give some buggy
informations).

Maybe you should try to disable acpi thermal stuff via
hint.acpi_tz.0.disabled="1"
and use the mbmon port for monitoring those temperatures. Don't
use ACPI and mbmon at the same time: there will be some conflicts
accessing the sensor chip internal registers.

As an added 'bonus', you should have access to motherboard temperature,
not only CPU, and you should be able to monitor voltages, fan, etc.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.