Page fault, GEOM problem??

Michael S. Eubanks mse_software at charter.net
Mon Jan 23 05:15:42 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:24 +0100, Johan Ström wrote:
> On 23 jan 2006, at 09.53, Michael S. Eubanks wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 06:43 +0100, Johan Ström wrote:
> >
> > Wish I could be of more help. :)  Have you tried to toggle the sysctl
> > dma flags?  I've seen similar posts in the past with read timeouts
> > caused from dma being enabled.
> >
> > # sysctl -a | grep dma
> > hw.ata.ata_dma: 1      <=== Try turning this one off (1 ==> 0).
> > hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1
>
> Disabling DMA, wouldnt that give me pretty bad performance?
>
> > -Michael

If it was not the problem, you could always change it back.  It *should*
be possible to simply set the control mode on those two disks (``man
rc.early'', ``man atacontrol'').  Unfortunately, the problem is noted as
errata in several FreeBSD versions tending to appear on SATA disks.  I
believe this is also a problem with some linux setups.  If you google
``FreeBSD hw.ata.ata_dma RELEASE'' you will eventually find the
following page relating to Asus motherboards:

http://www.ryxi.com/freebsd/63-668-write-dma-other-similar-errors-read.shtml

I picked it out based on the following line in the dmesg output:

> Nov 29 20:46:09 elfi kernel: ACPI APIC Table: <ASUS   A7V333  >

I'd say it's worth a shot.  You might even try turning both the flags
off temporarily to see what you get.  Your guess is as good as mine.  :)

-Michael