Using [Open]LDAP for authentication

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Jan 20 12:01:51 PST 2006

In the last episode (Jan 20), Dominique Goncalves said:
> I've updated my system with FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Jan 19
> 21:51:24 CET 2006 but the hangs is still here.
>
> Here is results of the command "id" with "strace" executed on single
> user mode:
>
> strace with ldap in nsswitch.conf:
> http://djdomics.free.fr/FreeBSD/strace-nss-w-ldap.txt

I see two issues right off the bat.  One, there are lots of writes to
fd -1, which indicates an error-checking bug somewhere.  It probably
doesn't affect you though.

Two, something is calling nanosleep.  It's probably nss_ldap, which
looks like if it can't contact any of the configured ldap servers,
waits 4 seconds, then retries, doubling the wait period every time
until 64 seconds have elapsed, then it fails.  Try putting

nss_reconnect_tries 0
nss_reconnect_maxconntries 0

in your /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf file.  That should tell it not to
retry after a failed connect, but just to fail.  To avoid any failures
at all, you should set up multiple replicated ldap servers there's
always a server to connect to.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com