fxp0: device timeout and sk0: watchdog timeout problems

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Jan 19 02:08:14 PST 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 04:14, Ganbold wrote:
> I have same problem even after updating the sk code to the latest:
>
> Jan 19 12:58:53 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:10 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:10 gw kernel: sk0: link state changed to DOWN
> Jan 19 12:59:20 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 12:59:52 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:23 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:29 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
> Jan 19 13:00:52 gw kernel: fxp0: device timeout
> Jan 19 13:01:05 gw kernel: sk0: watchdog timeout
>
> Ganbold

hi
maybe a stupid hint but did you checked the TP cable and pin order? I often
saw such problems when a gigabit connected to an older /10 HUB or when using
incorrect pin orders on the cables or even to long cables

Appearently the sk down events are gone on my server with Pyun's patched
drivers, did you checked if you compiled with them in the right place? My
servers are now almost 24h up with the new sk driver and none of them is
having the problem any more until now. Until this I had crontab run "ifconfig
sk0 up" all 10 minutes what helped me so long.

On my SMP system when sk stopped it caused also watchdog timeout on all other
NICs, on UP kernel not.

Do you use interface polling? Check with vmstat -i because you may have
overlapping IRQs and you cards may not support it. Look into the MB manual
and see which pci slots are shared and don't use them or try another bios
setting. What MB you are using?

you may try ifconfig fxp link0 to load its microcode which could help but in
my opinion and experience the fxp cards are bad when using more than one and
I through them all out but interesting is that they work well on until
releng_5, btw the sk  also works well on releng_5

João