AMD-64

Jack Stone antennex at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:07:34 PST 2006

>From: Kevin Downey <redchin at gmail.com>
>To: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru>
>CC: Jack Stone <antennex at hotmail.com>, freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: AMD-64
>Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:50:18 -0800

>DM3-RIPN]

>marck at rinet.ru ***

> > JS> The uname -a (before new amd64 kernel) says:
> > JS> root at sagegate>> uname -a
> > JS> FreeBSD sagegate.net 6.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p1 #0: Sat
>Dec 24
> > JS> 12:50:35 CST 2005
>sageame at sagegate.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SINGLEKERNEL
> > JS> i386
> > JS>
> > JS> Now, just did a new cvsup after deleting /usr/obj and a new
>buildworld
> >
> > Ah, then I suppose you have to do complete cross-buildworld with
> > TARGET_ARCH=amd64
> >
> > I'm not sure you'll have useable system after install though...
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
>partition and then from there over your old i386 install

After reading all the DOCs, the next thing I did was go through the
archives. Just didn't see that.

In the meantime, I had a clean ISO-amd64 install going and have done a
successful world & kernal builds/installs. Now, at least I have the
confidence that I'll be able to do updates.

Next step is to move over the non-sys content from the i386 server. Lots of
trouble, but not much more than the crossbuild effort which has been futile
thus far.

At least I'm learning by "doing." Think I'll stick to this clean ISO
install.

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellows!

The best,
Jack