gvinum/vinum on 6.0

Brian Szymanski ski at mediamatters.org
Wed Jan 11 04:00:35 PST 2006

Stijn, thanks for your help, I'm getting closer...

>> I took 6.0 for a test drive today and was disappointed to find that
>> vinum/gvinum are still in disarray. For example there is a man page for
>> vinum, but only a gvinum binary. gvinum help still lists lots of old
>> vinum
>> commands that are not implemented in gvinum. Lots of basic things I try
>> from the gvinum prompt just tell me "not yet supported".
>
> Hmm. There is a manpage in 6-STABLE. And there are a few things that
> don't work but I wouldn't call it "lots".

Ah, a manpage! Progress...

>> But most importantly, gvinum configuration (at least for a raid-5 plex)
>> still doesn't persist across a reboot :(
>
> That's a bug; I think it might be related to compiling gvinum in the
> kernel
> as opposed to loading it from /boot/loader.conf. I also think there is a
> fix already commited to 6-STABLE.

Hmm, I upgraded to 6-STABLE and I'm still having the problem.

Here's basically how it happens:
gvinum create /etc/vinum.cnf
newfs /dev/gvinum/VOLUME
mount /dev/gvinum/VOLUME /mnt
#screw with /mnt, everything works and is happy, yay!
reboot

At this point I call "gvinum l" (which loads geom_vinum.ko) by hand (after
the reboot). My configuration mostly seems to persist - except or the
"drives" section...

One of two things happens here: Either
a) The volumes/plexes appear down, the subdisks are stale. Additionally,
/dev/gvinum is not there - suffice it to say I can't mount anything.
b) Everything has status up (except the nonexistent drives). In this case
as well, /dev/gvinum is not there - and I still can't mount anything.

If I try to fix the configuration by gvinum rm'ing the volumes and plexes
that are there, then reloading my vinum.cnf (gvinum create), either:
a) everything seems to work
b) the system panics

Unfortunately there is no correlation between "gvinum l" output and
whether the system panics or is happy when I run gvinum create again.

Would I have better luck compiling gvinum into the kernel instead of

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Brian Szymanski
Software and Systems Developer