Motherboard

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Sat Jan 7 07:48:46 PST 2006

Martin Cracauer wrote:

I use the A8N-SLI Deluxe.

>Øystein Holmen wrote on Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:03:18PM +0100:
>

>>Hi all!
>>
>>I'm setting up a new server with FreeBSD 6.0. The motherboard I am
>>planning to use is Asus A8N-SLI Premium. Does anyone know if the on-
>>board ethernet controller (nve(4)) works?
>>

>Works for me with the newest 7-current commits, but losing carrier
>means temporary machine hang.  The other GbE on the board works, too.

Right, nve(4) sometimes stops working, but it seems to have the best
performance to me.
sk(4) also works, more reliable, but is bound to PCI32 bus.

>Temperature monitoring is also functional.
>
>Be warned that this board even with the newest BIOS does not correctly
>do remapping of the physical memory between 3-4 GB to above 4 GB.

That's bad to read. I plan to upgrade my box up to 4GB RAM. :-(

>>Also I'm planning on getting this graphics controller: Gainward
>>GeForce 6200 TurboCache, PCI-Express.

I use a MSI NE6600 PCIe board, 256MB video RAM. Don't expect high
performance without appropriate drivers!

>Works for me, "nv" driver.  No "nvidia" driver for FreeBSD/AMD64.
>
>Martin

Oliver